Friday, April 18, 2008

"A Rose By Any Other Name..."



Aidan is a nice Irish name that means "fiery". Dave and I knew this when we named our son and named him that anyway. The middle name I originally wanted to give him was "Rhys"; a nice welsh name that means "fiery". I decided to go for something more benign, like Douglas. He is 3 and keeps us on our toes. Unfortunately, Aidan does not have any interest in using a toilet. Sure, he'll give it lip service if we offer him a toy(he's pulling for a cement mixer), but really, he only uses the toilet if he has to pee when I'm changing him. Today I ran to the store and when I got home, the basement smelled like a sewer. I coaxed Aidan (who had been habitating the area for some time) to come upstairs and be changed. By the smell of things, I wondered how much time had lapsed since he had been done his thing. I asked, "How long have you had a dirty diaper, Honey?"

He replied, "Weeks, Mommy, weeks."

Another comment he made today was when he was speaking to his father on the phone. Aidan asked, "Can I go to Grandma's house, Dada?"

Dada said, "Ask your Mother."

Aidan: "She said no. Can I go to Grandma's house, Dada?"

That shows about how much he thinks about my authority in this house.

No comments: